- Shifting with the left hand. My oldest son was a binky baby, and we would always loose the binky on car rides. What did I do--I let him suck on my finger. This worked great when we were on the highway--no shifting involved, but when we were driving around town I would reach over and shift with my left hand. When I told my husband, he about freaked. Why would I drive a car with only one hand on the steering wheel, let alone no hands--but I think it was quite impressive!
- Holding down kids for shots. I was always (as long as I remember) very stoic about pain, but not two of my kids. Harrison is now on a mission to never have shots again!! Infact he is trying to eat healthy, so he won't get sick again. This last visit, both Harrison and Emily got shots. Emily gave one of the quiet eery screams, and Harrison kept saying there are no such things as shots. We had to have a nurse come in to hold Emily, so I could hold Harrison down--needless to say I don't think I will make Harrison get a flu shot this year.
- Building spaceships out of legos. I can't believe that I can actually build spaceships--even without directions. My childhood experience of playing with legos consisted of building houses because I was always playing with my brother Joseph the architect. (He really is an architect--and he was always designing houses out of blocks legos ectera.) But my boys are children of a pilot, so I needed to learn how to build ships.
- Lifting, carrying and pushing large objects (meaning my kids!). I've carried all three of my kids: Emily was in a carrier, Harrison on my back, and Joshua was on my other arm. They also like to all ride in the stroller--and yell full speed ahead. I then run pushing at least 100 lbs--I credit this strength to my mormon pioneer heritage!
- Doing everything while carrying a baby in a Bjorn! I've taught primary, made dinner, mowed the lawn, played with my other kids all while one child was in the Bjorn. I've loved it! It was well worth buying (of course I bought it used!)
- Showering in less than two minutes! I grew up in a family of seven children, so you might think that I would have learned as a child, but I didn't. I actually took such long showers that I used up all the hot water. I guess my mom didn't realize this because she always had me shower first on Sunday morning.
- Traveling Light: I actually have traveled just using carry-on luggage with two of my children, but haven't tried it with three. Once they are old enough to do their own luggage, it's back to carry-ons!
- I love zoos: I never liked zoos until I had children. I've even gone into a petting area with Joshua--maybe we will even have a pet someday..... then you know I really turned the corner!
- Going places without make-up: for those of you who know me that is a completely false statement--I've hardly ever worn makeup! People ask me if I style Emily's hair, or put highlights in her hair--luckily Emily is just a natural beauty because I'm not going to curl her hair or put bows and ribbons in them!
If you have any specialty skills you've gained as a mom, let me know!
4 comments:
That is a great commentary!! I thought I had learnt a lot as a parent, but as I have got older, i discovered I knew less that i had hoped!! However, I am still so glad that I put the family before my career. Rita
kHey kaylynn, griffin is a shihtzu. I think he is a funny little guy. I'm glad you kids enjoyed in picture. Tomorrow he turns 1...no longer a puppy. take care, kellie
To clarify!!! I do not believe anyone else should judge how a person conducts their family life. It is between the person and the Lord. At a certain point, i felt inspired, especially by childrens' missions and college to go back to work. in the 70s there was this huge push for women to develop their own careers, even to the point that there were movements to cease providing any retirement benefits etc to women except based on their own careers. I felt that the Lord wanted me not to do that for 20 years! I am glad i followed that guidance. However, things are different today and in each persons life. Follow the Lord's guidance is the only rule i support!!
I always am amazed at what I can do with one hand, while holding a baby. My motto has been - If Little Michael can do it, then so can I! However, Little Micheal doesn't have to worry about his little arm sabotaging everything his hand tries to do :)
Post a Comment