Friday, January 16, 2009

Keys Anyone?

This week we went to visit Mike on a layover. He has the same trip every week for the entire month, so we decided while I was still on semester break, we would enjoy the time together. I pack up the kids and the car, and I'm off at the hotel. Mike brings in everything from the car. Runs to McDonald's for us, and then early the next morning leaves for a full day of work taking the keys with him. We are stranded at the hotel, yes Mike took the keys. I had just gotten all the kids bundled up because of the sub-zero weather, and started looking for the keys. Now misplacing keys is part of my M.O., but not Mike's. He always takes the keys out of his pocket and puts them away. I frantically try to call him, he is not picking up. I call his company and they send a message to his plane, "Captain Mike, please call your wife as soon as you land." As soon as he received the message, he knows, and he reaches into his pocket, and there are the keys. Security didn't even pick up the extra metal in his pocket. He asked when the next flight was going back to Milwaukee, so he could send the keys, but it was pushing back just as he landed. They couldn't exactly open the service doors to toss the keys from one plane to another (although he seriously considered it). So what to do? I called a locksmith, can't do it (our keys have a computer chip), I called the dealer, and they need the car on the lot to make a new key. I called the hotel, book it for another night (only $36.00), and we hope that Mike can make it back that night. We then proceed to enjoy the day at the hotel. Luke thought the hotel restaurant was the coolest restaurant ever! We went swimming twice, ate at the hotel restaurant twice, watched lots of PBSkids (which is a treat because we have no reception, satellite, or cable) and enjoyed the day. I would keep getting these updates from Mike, "There's a ground stop for LaGuardia." The weather in New York was not the best, then he tells me that they are boarding up the passengers and taking off. He will make his flight, and come join us at the hotel with the keys! Then a text message, "Ground stop for LGA, turn on CNN to see why." The boys only let me watch for two seconds before we had to turn it back to PBSkids. But during those two seconds, I see an airplane floating in the Hudson, and the announcement that everyone is safe. Will Mike make it home to us? How long am I going to be in the hotel? Then within the next few hours: the ground stop was lifted, Mike landed safely in NYC, and made his flight back to us, keys in hand (well really in his pocket.)

Thankfully during the entire experience we were safe, warm (did I mention it was 35 below with windchill), happy, full, and had each other. Fortunately Mike had just been paid so there was actually money for food. Finally, the kids didn't miss any school because it was cancelled due to sub zero temperatures on both Thursday and Friday. The kids had a great time. We had a great day, but we are glad that we are home! Hopefully, this will be an experience that we will laugh at for the rest of our lives! ......remember the time we got stuck at the hotel because Dad took the keys with him!

14 comments:

dede said...

great story!! sometimes it is nice to be stranded and forced to relax!! Glad you are all safe!

Pancake said...

Great story, OMG the keys!!! Glad he made it back quick and even better that you all had fun with it!

Da Bergs said...

How fun!!! ... the keys! Well, sometimes things happen for a reason??!!!

Chris said...

Great story! I Love it!

Claudia said...

Sister Spencer! Of course I remember you!! You were one of my favorite Young Women leaders. I have the fondest memories of you and your awesome Saturn car. I can't believe you have 3 children! They are absolutely beautiful. Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. I had some difficulties with my current blog address and plan on making a new blog with a different URL. I will send you the new link. How fun!

Abby said...

Holy cow that is CRAZY! What an adventure! I'm glad you were in a place where you could be warm and dry and get food for the kids and yourself. Not to mention entertainment!

Wow. Glad all is well.

P.S. Have and extra key made already, would ya?

Colene said...

I'd like to have a problem like that! : ]

Michael said...

Sounds great! It's not everyday you get to enjoy a day like that.

tammy said...

Oh man! At least you got an extra day in the hotel out of it. That is a funny story, and you're right, one you won't forget.

*katrina* said...

Hey Sister Spencer! Haha, I was just thinking about all the times you took Claudia and I out places, and then I saw she posted a comment, too. It's great to hear from you, I can't believe how big your kids are! That's so fun.

chelle said...

Good Job. Enjoy the situation. I am not letting my kids read this one or they just might hide the keys next time we go to a hotel! ;) m

Rita (alias Grandma) said...

We got a quick text message from our pilot saying that he was fine--for which we were grateful. It took a long time for us to hear that it was an Airbus and that he was not the down pilot. Fortunately we already knew from the text message!!
What an experience you had! Lifting where you stand is more or less what you did. You might as well enjoy what you can't change, right? :-)

Cynthia said...

Wow! That is a wild experience. Glad you made the most of your unexpected vacation.

The best thing about experiences like that is that you'll remember the story and enjoy it forever. If everything had gone well, it would have been just another generic night away. Instead, you had a completely unexpected adventure. Cool.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I like your 'style' so I hope you don't mind if I continue to read yours.

Deann said...

OMG! What an experience you all had! Sometimes those kinds of mistakes make for the best times that you never forget :)