Friday, July 25, 2008

What? My Kids don't like Nothing!

Now there is a long story behind nothing. I grew up in a family with seven children who lived off of food storage (my dad was a college professor) We rarely had cold cereal, crackers, chips, or any junk food. One treat we made was peanut butter balls: the recipe consisted of powdered milk, peanut butter, and honey. The second treat was better, and we named it nothing. Now nothing is a wonderful mixture of butter, brown sugar, and oats. We would cook it up on the stove (then eventually the microwave), eat it, sometimes with milk (powdered at that) and clean it all up. We called it nothing, and we thought we were so clever because our mom never would know that we made it! Well, then one night we were down in the basement and my mom goes, "Hey let's have some nothing!" We couldn't believe our ears, she knew, for how long we don't know. Well the other night for bedtime snack I made nothing. Luke wouldn't even touch it, and Anakin had a few bites. So I was stuck eating one of my childhood favorite treats, and wishing that they could share in this kitchen miracle!

3 comments:

Rita (alias Grandma) said...

I love this story!! What a great way to revisit memories and history!!

We used to live on food storage too! One time,Ken and I actually tried to make our own Grape nuts for breakfast. They tasted great, but were so hard we could not crush them!! They were not called "nothing" but they resulted in nothing :-)

Grimm Family blog said...

Great Story! Keep them coming. I was laughing so hard just then. Thanks.

Larry Hollist said...

Nothing, Something, Anything and Everything

When I was on my mission my parents were given their first microwave oven. My father was convinced up to that point that a microwave was a waste of money, so he said that he would not buy one. My brother Joseph taught a snack that he use to make on the stove to my other brothers and sisters. Since the microwave made this snack easier to make with a lot less clean up, it caught on among the other five siblings that were living at home at that time. When my mother would ask my siblings what they were making, they would say, “Oh, nothing.” Thus the name was born.

This snack not only became popular among my family but soon spread among the neighborhood. One-day, right after I got home from my mission, a neighbor lady asked my mom, “What is this ‘Nothing’ that my kids keep talking about?”

There were some deviations that came from Nothing. I will include three of these.

Nothing

butter or margarine
brown sugar
oats

Melt the butter in a small microwave safe dish. Add brown sugar until it is a creamy constancy. Add the oats. Cook for 1 min. in the microwave.

Something

Add plain or vanilla yogurt to Nothing to taste.

Anything

Add chocolate chips to Nothing then melt in the microwave oven.

Everything

Add plain or vanilla yogurt to Anything to taste.