Sunday, July 1, 2012

Driving across country in a lemon of a car!

We drove across country about every two to three years.  So my parents would pack up the car, and we would leave the day after school got out, and come home the day before school got back.  We had so much fun visiting our cousins.  We would pick raspberries, apricots, play in the irrigation ditches.  It was always a summer of fun, fun, fun!!!!

The Car: always a VW. First we had a Bus, then in 1981 we got a VW Vanagon.  Oh what fun.  We had no air conditioning, only the side windows.  When it got hot, we would suck on ice, put cold washcloths on our heads, and stare longingly out the window at cars with their windows rolled up.  Once it was so hot, we stopped at a McDonalds for ice cream--and relief!!!!  

Now my dad was a master packer! He would pull out the middle seat of the bus, and place a platform in the car.  It was basically a piece of plywood the was on risers--underneath we would store our clothes, camping equipment, and food.  We were only allowed a 1/2 suitcase of clothes for the entire summer.  The last thing we would put in the car before closing the door was our shoes.  I used to worry that a shoe would fall out, or maybe one did, and I would be without shoes for the entire trip.  On top of the risers we would place two foam mats--and we would basically sit on the mats with no seatbelt.  In the way back, (above the engine) we had  the piles of sleeping bags and pillows.  When I sat in the way back, I would look out the back window at watch the clouds and their shapes.

One year--we had a lemon of a car.  It seemed like everytime we stopped, we would have to wait at least two hours before the car would start again.  Starting the car might take a push to get it started.  When we finally made it to Utah, the car went into the shop--and we thought it was fixed, but was it.  No!!!!!  On the way home, we got stuck in Independance, MO.  My mom, brother Joseph, sister Jennie, and I were at the Independance visitor center.  The missionaries took us under their wing, and we watched movie after movie in their theater.  I loved seeing The Three Witnesses, Momon Adds, and Windows of Heaven.  They were truly kind to us.  We were so glad when we drove into our home.  We kept the car for awhile longer.  The next time we drove across country it wasn't in the Orange VW Bus, but in the Vanagon!  It was so much better--but still it lacked air conditioning. 

2 comments:

Zott Family said...

Anne and Larry were also left at the visiter center. Larry ran the movies, we got to pick out whatever movie we wanted. I also remember watching Uncle Ben and Johney's last race.
Jennie

Larry Hollist said...

For some reason I thought it was Liberty Jail we were stuck at. For me the day at the Visitor Center we were at was a fun day that I have often looked back at that day with fondness. We stayed cool in the A/C, watched movies, I took the tour at least three times. I can't remember what we did for meals, maybe mom had our sandwiches from the cooler.

Now as adult I think what a difficult day it was for Dad. He was at the mechanics trying to get the car fixed cheaply. He found a kind mechanic that might have let him do some of the work.

Larry