My brother-in-law got married one week ago. Kindly, he got married during my fall break, so I did not miss any school! The boys, however, missed three days. But I blame that on the school district. They give the boys about every other Monday off, they could have added those days up for a nice break in the fall during Mark's wedding.
We decided to buy tickets for a these reasons:
- We did not have much time--we needed to leave on Wednesday and return on Saturday.
- We never got GG on the travel pass. Up to this point she flew on our lap, so it did not matter. They won't add in the middle of the year, so we need to wait until January.
- To travel for free, we need to fly from ORD to PHX to SLC. That's a lot of flying for three kids when you don't know if you will get on the flight.
- We had help buying the tickets.
Mike flew to and from SLC directly from work, so we were on our own.
We almost always take to bus to O'hare. It drops you right off at the terminal, the big bus protects you from traffic as you get everyone set up in strollers ect. Being the cheap person that I am, I refuse to pay for bags: so I figured out how I could take all the kids things, their carseats, and the kids with only carryon bags.
- Wheel bag.
- Put GG seat on the wheel bag.
- Pile the boys booster seats on top of the wheel bag.
- Put GG in the stroller.
- Everyone has their own backpack with their own supplies.
Security is always a hassle: take off everyone's shoes, put everything through security. Have each child walk through. (They let me carry GG, which was nice. In the past they made me have my toddlers walk through on their own. That may have been when I had a two year old and a six month old, but the trips begin to blend.)
The boys loved walking through American's terminal and seeing all the flags, but missed playing at the F terminal (United) on the airplane exhibit. We made it to our gate, which was the absolute farthest, filled up our drinking bottles, and hung out watching planes. The car seats came in handy because the boys could actually sit on them. We then got on the plane. The boys had two seats across the aisle and GG and I had an entire (three seats) to ourselves. I buckled her in her car seat, which was great--we were off.
The boys colored an played, and GG got out of her seat midway and played with her Backyardigan toys. Later she got fussy, so I put her in her car seat, and she fell asleep. Then I also took a nap. The boys got bored at the end of the flight, but that's OK.
We forgot Anakin's coat, but luckily there was a Grandpa and a coat waiting for us when we got there. Then I drove up to Centerville to see one of my cousins. My Aunt, and two of my other cousins also came over. I was sad that I didn't get to see more Aunts, cousins, and other friends, but also knew I couldn't drag my kids around to see everyone. We stayed at my cousins until Mike's flight came in. The boys watched a movie, played soccer, and jumped on the trampoline, GG had fun running in circles on a carpet.We picked Mike up, then it was on to Provo.
The kids were tired, so we threw them in bed, got to meet Mark's soon to be wife Ria. She is very kind, and easy going, perfect for Mark! Did I mention, she is also an artist. Her paintings are beautiful! We also had a cheesecake run, and then exhausted went to bed.
I counted walking through the airport with my kids and the stuff my exercise for the day. I could not have done it without my Maclaren stroller. It is an amazing piece of engineering: light, easy to fold and unfold, and it can be maneuvered with one hand. It also helps that I have wonderful children who listen, help, stay with me, and love to fly.
5 comments:
I feel your pain! It is really hard traveling alone with kids. I did it many times when my boys were small, and I only had two! It may be part of the reason I was only given two children - someone knew I couldn't handle more on my own.
Holy cow. I got stressed out just reading this. Way to go, Supermom!
Kaylynn is a real heroine on many counts, and this is one of them. She handles these things with such grace. Thank you for coming, Kaylynn. It is such a joy to see you and the crew :-)
You must be one organized woman to be able to fly with 3 kids and just carry-ons.
Lugging kids and their assorted "necessities" is plenty exercise!
Post a Comment