Tuesday, October 6, 2009

How do you do closure in public school?

Last Thursday I went and taught my first lesson. It was like riding a bike, only I didn't know how to get off. Let me explain. I worked for eight years in Primary: I was a counselor for five of those years and President for three. It was wonderful! I loved the women I worked and the children. I did this in three different wards, so I just kept growing and learning from others. So when I went into the classroom I brought out all my old tricks: "If you can hear me, make bunny ears ect, ect." I even know how to write up my own curriculum, do centers, work with a variety of ages, all from my church service. But I don't know how to close a lesson in the public school. In church it is so easy: you sum up what you said and bear your testimony. If done with a sincere heart, and with real intent the Holy Ghost teaches the children the principles that all the best teaching techniques couldn't teach. So what do you do in the public arena--I was kind of lost. Here is the basic outline of my lesson:



I came into the class wearing this jacket with extra buttons taped to it, and then this poster on my back.


Students worked in groups: sorting buttons. First, they sorted big, medium and small. Then they got to sort in their own chosen categories.


Kids sorting the buttons!



After the kids finished this project, I gave them big paper buttons to tape to their shirts. They first had to find a button that matched the exact same color. Once they found their partner, they had to find one thing they had in common. After we shared some of their common characteristic, they had to find buttons that had the same number of holes in it. Again, they they found things that the new group had in common.

Finally, we read two books: Friends by Fred Rogers, and the frog and toad book: The Lost Button.

So when all was said and done, I wanted to sum it up, and tell them how important it is to be a good friend. How do I do that.

I said something like this, "As you make real friends this year in class, you have a great 1st grade, and a great life."

OK--I need a little help with my closure. Do you think I can bear my testimony without bearing my testimony?

If the Holy Ghost teaches the truth of all things, how do you bring that into a public classroom?

What are some good closure techniques that you have seen done in church or other learning atmospheres?

I plan to use this lesson again, maybe even when I student teach, but definitely as one of those opening get to know you ideas.

17 comments:

Erin said...

What a cute lesson!

I think tying together the reason why you did this lesson with the outcome (having them find things in common with others) is great closure. Very nice!

Kaylynn said...

Thanks Erin for the nice compliment--it just lacked the power that comes from a testimony closure. I'm sure you know why at mean since you work in Primary!

Lene said...

I love your lesson.

I don't know how you are going to have the power of a testimony without the spirit of the Holy Ghost.

Emily K said...

I did substitute teach for a few years before I started having my own kids. While you can't bear testimony you can testify of the principle you just taught. The Holy Ghost will speak to the hearts of the children of ALL truth, not just gospel truth.

I would have gathered them together in a group and asked them what the lesson of the buttons was. Kids listen more to each other and will remember better when they tell you what they learned in their own words. Write what they say down, even rephrasing if needed. Tell them what a good job they did in a reverent voice and then tell them what lesson/activity you are going to do next in a bright and cheerful voice. Hope this helps.

You are doing great!

Kate said...

congrats on your first lesson!!! it sounded really cute. :)

Bonnie said...

The WONDERFUL thing about teaching is that you can bring the Spirit to kids who would otherwise not ever feel it. My mom always did at LEAST one lesson a year talking about each person's value and worth and bore her testimony without bearing her testimony. Always very powerful.
The other thing is that a testimony sums up what you just said, and it works well in a classroom setting.

Bonnie said...

Oh, also, a REALLY good thing at the end of any lesson is to tell the kids what you intend them to do with the information you just gave them. . . whether that be a worksheet, studying the notes you gave them, the way they treat others or whatever.

Kaylynn said...

The other thing I thought of after I posted--the spirit can help you know how to teach a concept to a child that's not getting it, or even how to present the lesson in the first place. I am excited about being able to be a good influence! Even teaching children how to get along with each other! Thanks for all the great advise! I will use it.

tammy said...

Sounds like a great lesson, and you definitely got some good advice here.

I was trying to think of what I've seen on the days I've been in Connor's class, and usually she just wraps up by saying, "Okay, it's time to get ready for library/PE/lunch now." Not much help for you.

Rita (alias Grandma) said...

Emily K 's is the same as my answer. I think the discussion and letting them draw the lesson out is essential. After that, I occassionally used a song spontaneously, if it felt right. "We are different" in the primary book is one of my favorites.

Kaylynn said...

Rita, I'm not as musically talented as you, but what a great idea to use that song. I love getting advice from all my talented teacher friends and relatives!

Rita (alias Grandma) said...

PSHAW! I heard you singing to the younger Michael. You don't have to be operatic. Just spontaneous and cheerful. You would do beautifully.

Jo said...

I agree that you can teach with the spirit without teaching the gospel. As long as you leave off the "in name of Jesus Christ" part, you close the same way you would in Primary!

Melanie Carbine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melanie Carbine said...

No one ever seems to talk about how to end a lesson. (That's what I meant to say.) That has just been my experience. I usually go with a few wrap up questions (what did we learn and so forth) and include something encouraging. I think that if you have them write down on their button what kind of friend they want to be you could ask for a few kids to share their buttons. Then say something about how after this you feel like we all have at least one new friend. And, then yeah, tell them what they're moving on to. Of course, always express your love and encouragement for them, let them know of what great worth they are, and how much you believe in them. (That's a testimony right?)

Your blog was recommended to me by our friend Alane.

heather said...

What a great lesson! You covered math & reading & character counts... awesome!

And I didn't teach the younger kids -and I know they're really good about going off on tangents, but I usually closed lessons with questions about what THEY learned. Just a quick summary/ review.

Cynthia said...

Sounds like you did great! That's a very innovative lesson plan that's heavy on visuals- perfect!

By the end of any lesson the kids are getting a little restless so I think it's best to keep it short and sweet. I also like the idea of asking the kids what they learned in order to reinforce the ideas via peers. Great job!