The Turkey
It tasted as good as it looked! I stuffed it with two apples and an onion and sprigs of sage. I decided the best approach was to try and seal in the juices by rubbing the turkey with olive oil, sea salt, minced garlic, and molasses. I thought between the oil and the sugar, it would make the skin nice and crispy, and seal in the juices of the turkey. It worked!
This was supposed to be our appetizer, but we had an unexpected tornado show up. A tornado touched down four miles from our home. I was in the middle of mixing rolls, so I brought them into the basement with me and stirred and stirred. After the storm passed, I went to Luke's school to get his homework. (Also unexpected, Luke has been fighting off a cold for about three weeks. I finally took him to the doctor where they gave him a nebulizer treatment. Who knew he had a touch of asthma.) The electricity had gone out, so it took forever because of all the downed lights. Luckily no one was seriously hurt during the storm! With all the school buses taking children home, that was a blessing.
She knows it's better to eat the craft than to make the craft.
Again, something we made a few days after Spencergiving--but since it hasn't even been Thanksgiving we are still not late!
The beginnings of the craft: striped circle cookies with chocolate covered marshmallows on top! The boys did a great job of covering the marshmallows with chocolate and placing them on the cookies.
The completed pilgrims hat. It turned out pretty cool I think. We will spend Thanksgiving with my sister tomorrow, so we will bring these over to share. The boys thought they tasted great! I like GG rather just eat it before it is complete!
I didn't get any pictures of us eating the meal, but as usual the kids didn't eat much--at least Mike loved the meal! We also had the missionaries over. It made it seem a little more like Thanksgiving having them in the house. We often had the missionaries at our house for Thanksgiving, what a treat to be able to host them again! I was a little worried they wouldn't want Thanksgiving twice in one week, but I guess most people keep eating leftovers for the rest of the weekend!
Other items on the menu: Apple sausage stuffing, caramelized butternut squash, green beans, broccoli, homemade rolls, and turkey. For dessert: blueberry and pumpkin pie! AAAH can't wait until tomorrow to stuff myself silly again!
(The food crafts were courtesy of FamilyFun Website.)
1 comment:
Wow - a tornado!!! Glad everyone was ok and it didn't touch down near your home.
those hats are cute too!
Post a Comment