Saturday, August 8, 2009

Chicago Day Trip

Monday, we were supposed to go to "the pond", but it was closed--a very disappointing day. So I was feeling a little "blue" and decided we needed to try and have some fun! I did not want to drive into Chicago, so I figured out how we could take the train and then the bus for our adventure day.

Luke and Anakin waiting for the train!

Both the boys were so excited to take the train. Anakin called it the American train (he is so patriotic!)


Everyone loved the train! We ate our lunch, played games, and Gypsy Girl would hold onto the back of the seats and jump up and down. I did get her settled down, a bit, and we enjoyed being able to look out the window and talk. So much more relaxing than fighting traffic! I actually got to play with my kids, instead of try not to get hit by a car. The best game we played: everything around us moves so it looks like we are moving.

Traveling to Chicago this way takes a bit longer, but then again riding a train for a 6, 4, and 2 year old is so much more fun than being strapped into car seats!

Did I mention that our Van was in the shop getting its brakes fixed, so we were in my husband Saturn with no A/C. Not really a fun way to travel to Chicago. The train was a much better choice!

Kids under 11 ride free on the trains! I just paid for my ticket and parking--the entire experience was cheaper than parking at Soldier Field would have been.



We caught Bus 130 which goes from the station to the Museum Park: Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium and the Planitarium. On the way to the aquarium, we passed the Sears Tower. Well it's not the Sears Tower any more because they changed the name, but who can remember the new name? I was too busy making sure that Gypsy Girl was actually sitting to take any pictures, but we had fun!




We arrived at our destination. The Shedd is built right on the lake. It's cool to watch the dolphin shows because the amphitheater looks right out onto Lake Michigan. No dolphin shows this time--Gypsy Girl rather climb up and down steps than watch a show.



Gypsy Girl climbing the rocks.



This is the entire reason the boys wanted to go Chicago. They love playing with the sub!
I can't say that I blame them--it looks like a wonderful play place.



Luke looking in the periscope.

They also have a great play place across from the penguins. We actually got to see the penguins in the water swimming!
Gypsy Girl got pretty tired of the penguins, and soon went to play!

We also got to see sharks in the Wild Reef. Luke loved seeing all the sharks where as Anakin got a little scared.



Then it was on to the play ground next to Soldier Field. Anakin climbed while Luke and I ran races.

We caught the bus, the train, and then drove home in the car. Finding the car was a bit confusing because the numbering system of the parking spots did not make sense. Luke on the other hand knew we were going the right way.
He told me,
"Do you know how I know, by the Holy Ghost."
I replied, "I think you will really like having The Gift of the Holy Ghost when you turn eight."
Anakin piped in, "Then Luke will be accountable."
"Anakin do you know what accountable means?"
Then Luke rejoining the coversation, "I know what catapolt means."

On another note, someone laughed at me. As I was trying to get off the train. Imagine narrow steep steps with a backpack, stroller, and three kids in tow. So I got off the train first, then grab Gypsy Girl's one arm with one hand to kind of help her jump off the train. A commuter is strolling by and sees this entire scenes and laughs. Well, it probably was kind of funny.

We had McDonald's for the drive home. It was a much better way of spending the day than laundry and house cleaning. Although today needs to be a work day!

Anakin sometimes moved a little slow, but for the most part the kids stayed with me the entire time, listened really well.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

What fun photos. Looks like you all had a blast.

shannon said...

Sounds like a fun (but exhausting day) in ORD...I enjoyed the year that I lived there...it's a really great city...

I cracked up at Luke's funny comment...kids say the cutest, most random things...

It looks like you guys have had a great summer so far--I can't believe that it is almost over...

I'm trying to get back into blogging mode...i'm finding it difficult to jump back into it now that I've taken so much time off from it...