I loved my word last year! So much that I am going to make it the word of the decade and my life. But, then I wouldn't have a word for this year. I fear student teaching. Not so much the classroom. I'm comfortable with kids, and I have lots of talent teaching children. No, it's more getting out of the house every morning and all the additional assignments. I just wanted to survive this next year--no kidding.
My word for the year was really going to be survive. My husband said, you ought to change it to thrive. So much better. I am going to thrive this year: grow and develop, not just make it through. I am sure that some days I will just be in the survival mode, but other days I will be thriving--that's what I will be aiming for.
I recently saw the movie Invictus, which brought the point home. Mandela could have survived in prison. That would have left him bitter and angry. Rather he learned how to thrive. When he emerged from prison he was able to forgive those who placed him in prison, and lead others in forgiveness. It is much better to thrive than survive. I am sure there were some days where he was in survival mode, but overall he thrived.
Thrive.
Will be better than survive.
6 comments:
I like that. For me, I barely survived the first 8 months of the year. I like the idea of taking it a step beyond and thriving.
Great word of the year! thanks for sharing :)
What terrific thoughts. Thriving is quite hard work, but you focus on the benefits instead of the effort!
Reminds me that in England, we did not say we were dieting. We said we were slimming. Focusing on the achievement!
I am wishing and hoping and praying for the very best for you. I loved student teaching. I had a great mentor teacher who had a fabulous group that year!
Then I stepped into MY classroom & I will say honestly that I have never done anything more difficult in my entire life. Really, good luck to you!
Your right, thrive is much better than survive, even though I know sometimes it's all we can do to survive. Good pick.
I like thrive better than survive. To merely 'survive' implies that you are a passive participant, just letting things happen to you. To 'thrive' implies that you will do well no matter the things that do happen. Hope you have a great year!
Post a Comment