Sunday Stations!
It actually works!
(Well for my oldest child, the other two have no interest which is fine.)
Mike goes to church before us, so getting ready for church is often chaotic, stressful, and it does not feel any different than getting ready for school.
We read a cute story in the Friend Magazine, where before church the mom had set up Sunday Stations. We decided to try it: Luke loved it, Anakin did not, and Gypsy Girl was indifferent.
Even though Anakin does not participate, it was nice because we have Primary songs playing in the background, and it felt different than any other day. Luke goes through all the stations, and Sunday is so much easier!
This last week our stations included: computer time (playing at the Friend Magazine Sight), decorating a thank you card, drawing a picture from the Gospel Art Kit, (above), looking at scripture story books, and doing a temple dot-to-dot. We've done it three times, and each time it's worked. (I won't mention how the reverence tent didn't work, but I'm sure you get the idea!)
Anakin came home with this picture in his backpack. Our family by the swing set! I especially love Gypsy Girl in her swing--it's perfect!
Tonight we did a repeat Family Home Evening. Sometimes the boys ask: "When are we going to do this again for family home evening." We talked about 1 Nephi 8, made a rod (out of rope) blindfolded the kids, and had treat waiting for them at the end of the rope!
They love the activity.
We need a couple more of these fun ones. Anyone have any ideas? (We've already done the parable of the pickle.)
11 comments:
What a fun time! I definitely need to do more things like this on Sundays at my house.
That's such a cool idea. I'm grateful for church resources like the Friend! Plus, I remember reading and loving it as a child. Double positive.
I could have totally used this idea when my kids were littler. It would still work for my youngest, though.
What a fun time! You are a wonderful mom! How did your lesson go??? My class was interesting
CUTE idea... your a great mom!
Fabulous idea! I wonder if this works for teenagers...
And I did NOT know there was a website for the Friend Magazine! I'm going to have to check this out!
Michael A. found that story in the friend and set it up for us. We have done it a few times. The first time, he set up a "contact friends" site near the phone, and when he got there, he called his Uncle Butch :-)
Sundays are hard. This is a great tip!
Great idea! Would have been great to know this stuff when my older ones were little.
Thanks everyone for helping me feel great! I do love when ideas actually work--it's so disappointing when they don't! I hope it works for some of you!
I remember reading this in the Friend, too!--I'm happy to hear that it actually worked for you!
The last time I tried to implement one of those "great ideas" it was the reverence tent and we all know how I feel about that debacle!
Post a Comment