Monday, September 22, 2008

The Roadshow

Mike and I are in a Roadshow. (A ten minute play about how "wonderful" family life is). We are the parents of an enormous family. We are having a great time, and the script is really cute. I just can't imagine doing the laundry for that many children. Before Mike and I had kids, I only did two loads of laundry a week. Logically, since we added three more people to our family, wouldn't that be three more loads of laundry? I don't even know how many loads of laundry I do a week, but it seems like it is always growing. I used to love to do laundry, especially when I was in college and I would go to visit my Aunt Martha. I would bring all my dirty laundry and I would go home with clean laundry. Her laundry room always had such a special smell. I think it was the detergent, but it was more than that; it was my Aunt, her home, and yes not having to pay for clean laundry. So maybe if I could do all my laundry at my Aunt's house, it wouldn't feel like such a chore, and I would get my clothes dirty just as an excuse to go and visit her. Thankfully, I only have three children's laundry to do and not thirty, and maybe I'll go buy the detergent and fabric softener that my aunt used, so I can enjoy laundry again. Until then the baskets of unfolded clothes await me.

1 comment:

Rita (alias Grandma) said...

The laundry seems increase exponentially. Technically, it should be linear as you said, but for some reason it isn't. It acts more like when you are having each child make a Christmas gift for each other. If you have two children there are 2 gifts, but when there are 3 children, there are 6 gifts, and when you have four, you make them yourself because that would be 12!!
I just know, when my children were teenagers (loong jeans) I started at 7:00am Monday morning and did not get one week's-worth done until Tuesday evening--going all day!!
"Even as ye do it unto the least of these-----"