Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Nativity





My sister-in-law made this for our family--it is a copy of the one she made as a girl. I love the simplicity, humility, and purity of the scene. Christ was born in a stable because there was no room for him in the Inn.

Once when I was a little girl, we had no Sunday School Teacher. My mom was walking by our classroom, and she stepped in and taught our class. My Mom is a marvelous story teller, and she told us the story of Christ's birth. Something struck the entire class as my mom told the story, and has stuck with me ever since--The Inn would have been crowded and noisy. I sometimes wonder if it had more of a bar-like atmosphere. Where as the stable was quiet, peaceful, and reverent. Shepherds came and worshiped, and peace filled the stable.

Although I love many of my other nativities, this is my favorite because of it truly represents that night in a way that the others cannot.

6 comments:

Jo said...

Wow! I'm honored that you love it so much. I don't remember how old I was when I did the original. It was a gift for my Mom. I wanted to give her something special, but I had no money. I'm still amazed that she even kept it - let alone that I ended up making more of them!!

Erin said...

What a beautiful and simple nativity! I love it.

heather said...

I have never thought of that before. An Inn would have been busy and noisy and there would have been all kinds of people around...

I never thought of that.

Martha Lee said...

Kaylynn,
You are right about all the things in your blog but I was thinking about mom for me. She has a way of conveying information that stays with you. I often remember things she taught us in seminary. I guess that is what stories and story telling are all about. Communicating things in way so that other understand and remember.

Shauna said...

How awesome! Thanks for sharing :) ♥ Hugs!

Deann said...

That is absolutely beautiful!