Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Addicted to Backyardigans and other ramblings

So my youngest is addicted to Backyardigans. She will plop herself in front of the TV and watch for hours. It is so tempting just to let her watch it again and again, but then again she wouldn't get anything done, but I might.

I finished my spelling paper, whew. I think that I might actually become a better speller. For those of you interested things that will help young spellers: word sorts, word patterns and word meanings. (Why is composition and competition spelled with different vowels even though they sound the same: composition comes from compose and competition from compete). Another interesting bit of information: we spell with how words are formed in our mouths, not by sight or hearing. There is a great text book called Words Their Way which identifies different spelling stages (there are six) and how to give instruction, activities, and support for each of those stages. Needless to say there should not be one word list for the entire class as this will only help students at one particular level. Because students in the same class will be at various levels, develop a spelling program that can fit the different abilities of your students. Still no grade, but I am getting an A in the class.

I actually took a nap today, while studying, and as I was falling asleep it was if I would look at myself at the bed, and have and actually teach myself what was in the textbook. I was super intelligent at the time--very cool. It's the closest thing that I have ever had to an out of body experience. I wonder what would have happened if I was reading my scriptures.

I love teaching PowerPoint--we are having a really fun class. On Mondays, I lecture, on Wednesday it is a lab day, then on Friday the students present their PowerPoints to each other. I hope the students are learning about PowerPoint. It certainly is interesting to see what they come up with. (They pay their adjuncts only 300 a credit hour, now it costs 600 to take the class, do you see a discrepancy, but I am getting 6 credits a year for free--yeah--no loans yet on my Masters!)

Yesterday I had a terrible day. Luke my five year old kept trying to cheer me up by asking me to play with him. Once I figured it out-- I was amazed how caring he was to his mommy.

Anakin and Luke are doing great on their work jobs. Today as we clean up the living room we played a game: I close my eyes while they put things away then I have to guess what they put away. The best is when Anakin comes up to me and says, "Mommy where does this go?" Kind of defeats the purpose, but they did pick up the entire living room.

I thought I was going to teach Sunday School on Sunday, but both of us had prepared the lesson. (Better both than neither) It was about Mormon, and I was going to talk about how he had the Gift of Discernment. Elder Bednar gave a great talk about his ability to be quick to observe. I've notice that Anakin is only bringing home good qualities from school. He will say "I'm a happy helper!" He learned that phrase from school. (Think of what he could be learning at school.) Anakin is discerning and noticing good things. I am glad that I prepared because I love that talk, and I noticed that Anakin is also quick to observe. (Part of discerning is noticing the good in yourself and others and being able to bring that good out.)

It snowed a little this week, so we got out the sleds, boots, pants and played in the inch of snow for about an hour. The boys even shoveled the entire driveway! Gypsy Girl hadn't woken up, so I was running in and out of the house checking to see if she was awake.

4 comments:

Erin said...

We have a love/hate relationship with the tv too.

It sounds like you are really busy. I'm glad you got a little nap! And how fun to have the entire driveway cleared off.

dede said...

that was a major catch up post! We love the Backyardagains here too! We were going to go to the live show this month but it was cancelled! I like the new look of your blog (or maybe it isn't new - I usually just check or google reader - either way it is cute!)!

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to have you teach me how to do a Power Point!! I keep coming across incredible music that I would love to put to a PP for our Young Women, and if I only had a brain....but no more excuses! As soon as I get my program installed, I'm emailing you for tips! (Are you allowed to help someone under the table, or will I have to pay you $300?)

Kaylynn said...

tytytytyty