Friday, November 14, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad!


On his mission--giving himself a discussion!

72 and still looks great!

Some famous quotes by my dad:

Before driving to a concert with my 2 older brothers and one older sister his words of wisdom, "Now, no talking! And I'm serious!" Well, we thought that was so funny, that we broke out in laughter, and haven't stopped laughing yet.
Talking about people that are difficult: "People will be people."
When he was a Branch President: "People who are willing to walk to Missouri tomorrow aren't willing to be scoutmaster today."
During my wedding ceremony, my dad's back had gone out, and sitting was very painful for him, so he stood in the sealing room until the actual ceremony began. When the sealer asked him if he wanted to sit, he replied, "No I'll just stand."
After pushing my son on the swing for an hour, "That was wonderful, just wonderful!"
When my oldest son was about a year old, "He's just a regular boy, just a regular boy."

Top 10 list
  1. Honest
  2. Loving
  3. Sure and Steady
  4. Proud of his kids and grandkids
  5. Greatest Pole Vaulter (In his days it was with metal poles and saw dust pits)
  6. A man without guile
  7. Hard Worker
  8. Positive
  9. Great Researcher
  10. Willing to serve others, always!

Some of my favorite memories:
  1. When I was in half day kindergarten, my dad stayed home with me in the mornings. We watched price is right together, everyday! We planted the garden, raspberries, and did all sorts of things together. It was heaven!
  2. The Merrie-Miss Daddy daughter date. We danced the night away! What fun!
  3. We worked at the same University, even the same department, and for a short time shared an office together. It was fun walking around campus with him--he would always introduce me to his colleagues with so much pride. Thanks dad!
  4. After I had my oldest son, we would do a quick babysitting exchange. He would watch Luke during my first class, and office hour. Then I would pick up Luke from the house, and bring him to his office so he could watch him while I taught my second class. Isn't that amazing!
  5. Watching him play the Editor while he was on his mission in Nauvoo. I never thought of him as an actor because he always is just himself--never hides who he is, but he was wonderful in the play.
  6. One time on the phone, I said, "I love you dad." No response, he later called me up to tell me that he loved me. I broke down in tears!
  7. Going to all the church history sites along the Susquehanna River. It was really neat to walk down to the river to see where the Priesthood was restored. A great day, one of the best!
It's really hard to describe my dad to people unless you have met him. He is such a mixture of honesty without finesse, that you just love him. Thank you Mom for making him a better dad. I do know that you bought the beautiful corsage for the daddy daughter dance, had him call me back to say, "I love you!", and the most important--I wouldn't have ever had the opportunity to work with my dad if you hadn't gotten dad to talk to Leo about my teaching position.

The only flaw my dad has, is you can't buy gifts for him. One year I really tried to buy him the perfect gift, and he had always bought himself the present before I gave it to him. For his birthday, I bought him an electric toothbrush, and then I walk into the bathroom to find a brand new one plugged in. Christmas that same year--I wanted to buy him some "extras" for his new canoe, and I went in the local canoe store. At the store, the owner proceeded to tell me that he had already bought everything. The final straw, I had gathered money from all my brothers and sisters to buy him a laser printer for his retirement. (This was only six months after the electric toothbrush incident.) I had just bought the printer, and was about to deliver it to him, and I walked into his garage, and there was the exact, yes exact printer we had bought for him. Frustrated---yes! I should have known he would beat me to the punch because as a child he would often say, "Have you bought me a present yet?" My answer would be no. Then he would hand me a new pair of winter gloves he had bought for himself, and say, "Why don't you wrap these up for me."

Anyways, since I can't buy you any gifts---Thanks for being my Dad, & Happy Birthday!

By the way, it's also my half birthday. I always thought that was so cool, to have my half birthday on my dad's birthday!

10 comments:

heather said...

Sounds like a great dad!! Happy Birthday to him!

Abby said...

Oh, that was so sweet! Your dad is such a sweet man. I have enjoyed the few times when I've been able to spend time with him and your family.
Also, I posted a response to your comment on my blog there. Did you want me to leave it here?
Anyway, great post! I want to hear more about your adventures in Wordsworth land. ;)

Kaylynn said...

pop pop pop

tammy said...

I loved reading these things about your dad and your relationship. There is just something special between a dad and his little girl.

Rita (alias Grandma) said...

Happy Birthday Taylor. Indeed he is the most genuine, lovable person! And i can vouch that it has rubbed off--or been inherited (depending on your view of nurture and nature) by Kaylynn!
Happy half birthday!

Da Bergs said...

Aren't daddy's a blessing? He sounds like a GREAT guy!

Jan said...

You are so glad when daddy comes home huh. I love this so much. I was happy to see the word Merri Miss again. I remember those daddy daughter dates. So fun. What a great man. He sounds so laid back and wise. Thanks for sharing and Happy Birthday Young Man.

Erin said...

That was a great tribute to your dad! I always just buy my dad Peanut M&Ms for his birthday, because I know he likes them and I can't find any other "perfect" gifts.

I lived in Iowa last year. I really miss it - the corn fields, the friends, the strength of the church. Do live near Iowa?

Anonymous said...

okay, what part of Illinois are you? I saw your post at another blog and I just moved to Northern Illinois too, any chance you are in the BG stake?

LLMI Hollist said...

I think that I raly enjoyed my freshmom year of college. Dad gave me a key to his office and that is where I hung out.

We would share lunches. That was the best year I ever had grade wise. Most likley I studied all day in his office.

The two years after my mission I was mostly on the other side of campus in the physics dept. I missed that closeness of the freshmom year.