

When I was 12 or 13, we had an evening with our mothers at the church. We (the girls) were to come prepared to talk about a woman who we admired. I started to research one of my favorite women: Mary Fielding Smith. She was married to Hyrum Smith, went through the agonies and exodus of Missouri, lost her husband to a mob, crossed the plains by herself, and raised a prophet. I studied, wrote up my talk, and was prepared to talk about this great woman.
As we walk into the room, my friends are there with their moms, but no one has a piece of paper in their hands. The program begins--then the time comes for the girls to speak about the women they admire. Diane gets up, completely unprepared, and she talks about how wonderful her mom is. (Good save Diane! I'm sooooo glad I am prepared.) Cindy gets up--again, unprepared, again she talks about her mom. Girl after girl stands up (unprepared) and talk about how their mom is their hero. Finally, it's my turn. What to do? Submit to peer pressure--say something nice about my mom, or go with my prepared speech about Mary Fielding's faith and endurance. I mean she prayed for her oxen to be healed--can't get better than that!
Well, I think I will leave you hanging. But in a way to makeup for that fateful night, I really do admire my mother. Here is my list:
- She raised seven beautiful children. I realize the huge amount of work it takes just to keep up with laudry, food, house. She did it! Amazing! Thanks for giving me six of my best friends!
- She is always helping others: whether it's her children, people in her Branch, or her friends--she is always there for others!
- She's alot of fun to do things with. Before my mission, we went to New York City three times together! We had a great time going to plays, eating out, walking through Central Park, seeing a wonderful Matisse Exhibit. That was amazing!
- The best lunch date--can we please go out to lunch soon!
- She is dedicated to the gospel, her family, and her friends. (Not a heirarchy)
- Loves the arts: all types!
- Loves NPR--thanks for helping me become a fan.
- Dedicated to the community. (She served on the School Board for many years, and was the President when I graduated from High School. My mom actually gave me my high school diploma--can't beat that!)
- Loves to travel! Is a great traveller! Loves adventure!
- A wonderful grandmother--she is hosting an overnight birthday party for her six year old granddaughter. (She is driving to New York City, picking up her granddaughter and friends, then celebrating together. You can't be any cooler than that!)
So Mom, if I ever have the priveledge of meeting Mary Fielding Smith, I will have to say sorry, there is no way that you are cooler than my mom, even if you did pray oxen back to life.
Love you Mom!
I hope you get a chance to read this before Mother's Day!
7 comments:
She had pretty good material to work with :-)
And if your Mom had the oxen problem that Mary Fielding Smith had, I have no doubt that she would pray them back to life.
She is indeed a great lady.
I wish I had Mom just like your Mom.
Guess what
I do
Anne
Brought tears to my eyes. We had it pretty good.
Thank you for being my one of my best freinds and my sister also.
Well, now that you've set the bar for the rest of us, I better go get to work on an ode of my own!
This was very sweet, and something I need to do more often for my own mother -- who can't do animals, but I've seen her resuscitate her share of garden plants!
Kaylynn,
I was just thinking today, "Oh, no I did not get my card in the mail." I wish I would have thought of this first.
You did a much better job then I would have.
She was and is a wonderful MOM.
-Martha
That is a great tribute to your mom.
Love Love Love this post! What a funny story!--
I'm sure your mom will feel extremely honored when she reads this...she sounds like a wonderful person...!
Post a Comment