Monday, May 11, 2009

Prairie Walk



Mike, Gypsy Girl and Luke on top of the hill while Anakin and I went exploring through the tall grass.


Anakin and I went through the tall grass!


Gypsy Girl really wanted to walk in the grass, but she was just the wrong height. The grasses kept hitting her right in the face.


Part of keeping a prairie nature preserve, is setting the prairie on fire. The prairie would often burn from lightning strikes. The Native Americans would set the prairies on fire to hunt and capture American Bison. The prairie would grow back because of the deep root system of the grasses. The ash from the fires would become fertilizer. This is how the prairie got its wonderful fertile soil. Above is the new growth after the fire.

Isn't nature wonderful!


A rare thing: a picture of me with my children!
(The picture is rare, but I am often with my kids!)

8 comments:

Annette Lyon said...

Great pictures--I love the one where Gypsy Girl's just a little too short!

Jan said...

That was a lovely time. I need to do that too :)

Anonymous said...

Now you just need a LITTLE HOUSE for your prairie!

Kaylynn said...

Jenn, I love those books. I am so lucky to actually see a real prairie!

Erin said...

I love these awesome prairie pictures! That's a lot of open space.

Mormon Mommy Blogs said...

What a great photo of you and your kids!

Now I am sufficiently homesick!

~motherboard

shannon said...

Now I'm going to have the Little House in the Prairie song in my head all day! :)

heather said...

That's gorgeous country!