Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Flag Game

My husband taught my boys how to play capture the flag, but of course with all games--they morph into something new, with new rules. We start from our back porch(base) and throw out a marker. The boys then run, get the marker, and try to bring it back to base. It's always them against me, and somehow whenever I run the marker into base it's against the rules, "Mom you are never allowed to win!" I'm thinking, "You guys scored five goals, and I only scored one, so I'm still not winning," But they don't see of it that way. Because it's a team sport, the boys are allowed to tackle, block, distract me while the other boy makes it into base. If I do capture one of the boys, then they throw it to the other team member, or can get away from me, somehow. They also have great stealth powers. When they lie flat in the grass, you can't see them, even though somehow you can see them on the video. Maybe the stealth powers just work on the naked eye. It's very important that the marker is hidden underneath them, because the marker doesn't have that same ability. Last night the boys added another dimension--three markers instead of one, I still can't even take one of the markers into base, and it is very confusing, I mean fun. "Luke" took this video, of our game, it's kind of long, but also kind of fun!

11 comments:

Pancake said...

I LOVE capture the flag!

heather said...

i love that you get out there and play with 'em. you are one awesome mom!!

dede said...

how fun - I love family play time - now that my boys are getting older I don't have to let them win all of the time (and it won't be long until they have to let me win!!)

cute video!

Jan said...

That is so great. That brings back so many fond memories and bruises.

LLMI Hollist said...

I love it. It looks like lots of fun. Isaak's favorite game is chase me. In the store, at church and at home. Sometimes he will start running around the outside table and calls me to chase him.

We also play the pillow game. Isaak will move just enough to get away. When I ask where my pillow has gone?

He points outside, or upstairs.

The other thing that I thought about was the games we use to play when we were kids. Hunter, swing-set tag.

The classic was of course running bases. We went so far as to write down the rules.

Kaylynn said...

Hey Larry, I'm going to do a post about swingset tag, I just need a picture of the swingset--digital that is. Do you have one on Flickr?

Anonymous said...

You have one heck of an awesome back yard!! It just cries out to me, "Come, play here!!" I miss running around with my kids -- alas, knee surgery -- but we still romp and roll around on the ground. Ah, childhood...

Rita (alias Grandma) said...

I am glad you described the game, because I had no idea what was going on. Now all is clear :-) It looks like so much fun anyway!

Kaylynn said...

Sue, the backyard that you see is actually about six backyard that are all connected. It's nice because you have more space to run, but you don't have to mow as much.

LLMI Hollist said...

The best swing sets that I have are unser the following sets: Oneonta Cooperstown 1998, NY 1998. Or look under the following collection: Martha's wedding weekend.

If you have any problems let me know.

Elisa said...

I booed you on my blog... but in a good way! Go get your treat!

Your backyard really is great! I remember when that swingset was built!