Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Swing Olympics



Is coming to London Summer Olympics 2012. Well not really, but that was the only way that I would ever make an Olympic team--by inventing a new sport and being the first to compete in the sport. Swing Olympics consisted of at least three categories:
  1. Distance Jump: You pushed back three times on the swing and then jump! You win by jumping the farthest.
  2. Short program: it was a two minute swing routine. There were some basic requirement: you had to transfer your routine from swing to swing, and there could be no flip landings.
  3. Long program: basically the same as the short program only longer, and Flip landings are allowed! I changed the rule just for you Jonathan.
As a little girl, I would go out and work on my swing routines, practice my jumps off the swing measuring accurately with sticks that were on hand, and of course win either the gold or silver medal. It was a lot of fun.

I told this story to my boys, and they are continuing on the tradition of Swing Olympics, not to mention playing library and many other things. It's endearing.....but I was so hoping that my kids might be a little bit cooler!

12 comments:

lizzifer said...

Michael's been doing similar things, like stair diving.
I think it's great that kids have that kind of ambition.

Kaylynn said...

Stair diving seems a little more dangerous!

Da Bergs said...

Swing olympics! TOO cute!!! Hey, whatever it takes!!!

AND, I love YOUR idea of a family mascot!!! The rock for Heleman is great!!!! Let us know if you do it! POST it!!!

Jonathan H said...

I take exception to the no flip landings clause. I believe that it limits the sport and discriminates againts innovative younger brothers.

Pancake said...

I love the swing Olympics!!! WHAT fun!!

Kaylynn said...

Sorry, I believe the no flips landings was only for the short program and not the long program. Kaylynn

dede said...

my sister and I use to do synchronized swinging when we were kids - I am amazed it never caught on!

Jonathan H said...

Thank you for the rules clarification. Have the boys learned that if they swing long enough that they can store up enough energy to blast the swing set into space and explore other galaxies.

Jan said...

Now that is my kind of game. I might be able to be in that Olympic. Cute cute.

Elisa said...

That is a good idea. I am going to make... er I mean suggest my kids go do that. Like right now.

(they are out of school and driving me nuts)

Kaylynn said...

The boys do take the swingset to the moon, but they don't have to swing to get there. The best is when they turn their play kitchen on the side and make it into a pod racer. Thanks for commenting JP--I live for comments. Kaylynn

cornnut32 said...

i love swings. seriously love them. they're the best.