
Salt Lake City Airport, January 1993
Mom, Uncle Bert, Aunt Emily, Zuster Hollist, Anne
Isn't this picture sweet! Iwas so excited to get on the plane to Belgium, speak the little Dutch I knew, and knock on doors like crazy. Because I didn't grow up in Utah, it was great to have my Mom fly in. Other locals came to see me off: my Great Aunt and Uncle, my sister, several Aunts, and my cousin skipped school to come and greet me at the airport. But that isn't the memory I wanted to share. When we arrived in Belgium, we couldn't find our Mission President anywhere. Our trusted travel leader found us a ride with a taxi driver that was there to take us to the mission president. The taxi driver didn't speak English or Dutch, he only spoke French, but he was ready to give us a ride from Brussels to Antwerp. We suddenly realized that we were not in the right place. My dormant French came out, "Connaisez-vous President Barret?" Well he didn't. We quickly got out of the van, and ran back to the airport in search of our mission president. Our fearless travel leader said, "This is a secret, we will not tell anyone!" We found our mission president, got into the car, and the first thing that pops out of the travel leader's mouth is the entire story. I'm thinking, what about keeping it a secret. Now everyone will know. Now if it was just the mission president and his wife, our identities might have been kept a secret, but the AP's came for the ride as well. So needless to say everyone did know.
7 comments:
Funny story! Guess you learned quick who can keep a secret!! Thanks for adding the rest of the quote by Holland. I have a lot of NON LDS that read my blog, so I kept the quote short so they would read it. Thanks for adding the rest for the LDS folks!!!!
Mission memories or memory, have to be the best. I never went on a mission, but I hear stories from others and wish I had. Thanks for the quote too. Love that Holland.
I finally signed up to the Blogger so I can make comments. I think you have your date wrong by about 10 years. Because you took me to the MTC 12 years ago Oct 1996.
Thanks little brother, or in that case big brother. I was thinking the write year in my head, but typed the wrong year. I did want to be 27 again.
You look so cute! It is a good thing the Lord watches over his missionaries!
Did you get that from my flicker account? If so I'm glad you did.
I have started digitizing my photos. It is a slow project. I figure I should finish sometime before Isaak finishes college.
I love seeing Bert and Emily. They were there at the aiport when I left for Japan on my mission.
The other thing that I remeber about your mission was talking with our former Bishop and saying that you were going to Belgium on your mission. (The first non-Japanese mission).
My former Biship said his sister was serving in the same mission.
We then mused that you might be going to companions. Later you were.
Yes, I did get the photo from your Flicka account. Aunt Martha had actually sent it to us, and I couldn't find the email or the photo, so I thought that you would have it on Flicka, and you did! Oh, Sister D. was a great companion. We had a lot of fun together. Thanks for commenting, I live for comments
Post a Comment