Monday, October 13, 2008

Kid's Say the Cutest Things


"Luke" has wanted to do our Pickle Parable Family Home Evening for a long time. We base it on Elder Bednar's talk Ye Must Be Born Again given in April 2007 General Conference. We take cucumbers and wash them, soak them in salt brine, put them into glass jars, and pretend to seal them in our big pot. As we do each step, we talk about how each step changes the cucumber into a pickle, and how each step relates how we can change. In preparation for the lesson, I was listening to the talk, and Luke asked if he could turn it off because he was tired of hearing the words cumcuber and pickle. I thought it was very cute because Elder Bednar does say: "A cucumber turns into a pickle!" many, many, many times.

How do we change? Elder Bednar tells us: "As we choose to follow the Master, we choose to be changed—to be spiritually reborn."

5 comments:

heather said...

I really liked that talk. Thanks for reminding me!

Jan said...

That is so cute. I love those little guys that say such funny things. What a great lesson and project. Love the idea and I will have to reread that talk. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I love this parable! And you're right, the words 'cucumber' and 'pickle' aren't as funny to kids as they are to adults. I wonder why?

Hey, and thanks for following my blog! Isn't this a fun virtual universe we live in? Great way to make friends!

Pancake said...

I too, loved that talk! Like being immersed in salt water... change from cucumber to pickle is tough!

Kaylynn said...

kjkjkjkjkjkj