Today was an extremely busy day, in pilot terms it was ten leg day, and the last leg was the most fun--Raspberry Picking. First, we went to Gypsy Girl's 15 month appointment. I actually made it in very close to her 15 month mark. GG remembered the doctors office, and she wasn't very happy about being there. (I think I'm still suffering post dramatic stress syndrome from the last set of shots, and so is the rest of the family.) Then I dropped the boys off at school-- (I was smart enough to pack lunch). Gypsy Girl slept the entire time the boys were at school (thank you shots), and I actually got some of my work done. I really wanted to have some fun with my kids on a beautiful fall day. When I picked up the boys from school, I said, "Let's go to the apple orchard for cider and donuts!" When we got to the orchard, they wanted to pick raspberries. I was a bit reluctant to bring my one year old on the adventure, but she did great (maybe because she is not one but 15 months!) We picked the berries, played at their great playground, and yes, bought cider and donuts. We saved them for bedtime snack because DADDY came home. It was a long four days, but we made it.
Thursday, October 9, 2008
Raspberry Picking
I have so many wonderful memories of raspberries picking. I loved picking raspberries at my grandmother's house. We would drive four days to visit her, and then jump out of our VW bus, and I would literally run into her fields to taste my first raspberry. One summer she had a bumper crop, and we picked raspberries the entire summer. I think my grandmother was very proud that I made my own fruit leather.
Fruit leather was a worth its weight in gold in my fifth grade class. I could use my leather to trade for very valuable snacks. We never had chips, granola bars, fishes, crackers in my house, so it was quite a treat to be able to trade leather for the better things in life. But this fruit leather was special, I kept it in a box in my room to enjoy by myself without having to share. You see, I had made it myself, and it was wonderful to enjoy the fruits of my labor.
I am glad that my kids love picking raspberries too! We had a great time picking, eating, eating picking, and of course getting cider and donuts at the end of the day certainly makes it special. I love fall and I love the harvest of my labors.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
10 legs?? Holy cow that is a long day! But raspberries - yummy!
Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment. It's so fun to get to know other bloggers.
I love fruit leather! That was the best wasnt it!!! Sounds like a way fun day for you!
glad you could have some fun time with your kids! fruit leather is the best! maybe you could tell us how to make it?
Fruit Leather recipe: I don't have it because I haven't made it since I was a kid, but I know you put the fruit in the blender with sugar and pectic, poured it onto saranraped cookie sheet, and let it dry. Then once it is dry, just roll it up. Yum, Yum! Kaylynn
we have raspberry bushes in our back yard - it is easy to tell when the kids have been picking them (with their stained red hands and pants). I am hoping it will be a childhood memory for them - like it was for you! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment