Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Can you spell?
Because I can't, I have to memorize each individual word in order to spell it correctly. I finally figured out how to spell calendar correctly because its vowels have an a/b pattern associated with it. I have to write a ten page paper on spelling. The paper is interesting: we interview elementary age kids, give kids tests, read interesting articles on invented spelling (if only we could still use invented spelling). I personally think either you can spell, or you can't, kind of like math. But as a soon to be teacher, that's probably not the best approach, but with the right methods it can be learned. Maybe I could spell in Japanese, Chinese, or easier languages like Spanish, but really I've learned foreign languages, and I couldn't even spell in those. Thankfully, we have spell check everywhere, and I can just blame my spelling on my poor typing ability. I guess I better get back to my paper!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
I'm a spelling freak! It takes all my efforts not to COMMENT when someone's spelled something wrong. It's a curse for sure!
But words like it's and its, there and their,KILL ME when misused!!!!!
i completely agree with jenn--the their, they're, and there thing, the it's and its, the your and you're---ooooooh talk about pet peeve. drives me CRAZY.
but the weird thing about spelling is that i really stink at spelling out loud. i'm a good speller if i can write the word down. ask me to spell it out loud? i get about four letters in and choke. that's why i aced spelling tests and was kicked out of the spelling bees on the second round as a kid.
I am a horrible speller and rely heavily on spell check - I totally agree with you ,"either you can spell, or you can't" - I see it in my kids, one of my boys always aces his spelling tests (and doesn't have to practise - he got that from his dad) the other has to work really hard for his spelling grades (he got that from me!)!
I can, however, do math!
I am laughing a Jenns comment. I have probably frustrated her a time or two. I have the same problem. I get perplexed and stuck on things looking right. I have questioned the word "what" before. Have you had those moments when a word just looks weird to you?
I am grateful for spell check too.
Spelling is not a gift I have been blessed with.
The other day I had to ask my 10 yr old how to spell before, yeah it just didn't look right. He pretty much thinks I am an idiot.
You make me laugh! Let me know what you find out on the spelling thing. I could use it for my first graders.
I decided a long time ago that spelling is like belly buttons. You can or can't. You are an inny or an outty. THAT simple. I, for one, am on the NOT side of the fence. AND if I remember correctly, in my college days we read something that gave a measure of validation to my theory. I was constantly being corrected by my students when it came to my spelling. I know some teachers might worry about that, but I think it made the students like me realize that it isn't that big of a deal. Good luck finishing your paper -and even more luck teaching. It is one TOUGH world. :)
Spell check... MY BFF
I am obsessive/compulsive when it comes to spelling. See, it's all because of a spelling bee from fourth grade. I was one of the three finalists (with two xith graders!) and we had gone through the entire spelling list, so we started over at the beginning with kindergarten words. I was asked to spell the word "join".
Easy, peesy, I thought.
I resolutely went up to the microphone and (somewhat cockily) called out:
"J - I - O - N."
I've never quite gotten over that. Thus, my life-long obsession with words. But I can't add fractions to save my life, so it all comes out in the wash.
See, I still can't spell, no matter how hard I try. ("xith?" Is that a grade?)
And these funky word verifications certainly don't help.
Now fractions, I can add. In fact I love adding fractions, dividing fractions. It's fun!
I am not a speller. I got it from my dad. He is a pro at invented spelling. I used to love getting packages from him in college and reading his hand written notes. He spells everything with a southern Utah accent :)
Oh, great. Now I am thinking I need to stop blogging. Jenn, I am sorry in advance... Kaylynn, I am glad you dont hold it against me... dang. Okay, do I need to type my comments in word and then do spell check and then cut and paste into the comment box??? This is going to be a pain for sure! °Ü°
I am an excellent speller and use proper grammer almost always. Unless I am spelling the following words, in which I have NEVER EVER been able to spell correctly.
liscence
neice
wierd
and a few others. lol.
Oh, and my word verification this time around is "runpig."
What the heck...
Doesn't everybody have to memorize each individual word in order to spell it correctly? Common words have just become so thoroughly ingrained that spelling them has become second nature that we have forgotten that we learned to spell them through rote memorization.
Garth, just to let you know, there are certain spelling patterns in the English language--so it really shouldn't be that we memorize each individual word, only the patterns and the exceptions. I have actually been reading a lot of articles on invented spelling--where you allow students to create their own patterns in writing. An interesting theory, and one that our family embraced. Except, we would change our pattern of spelling constantly.
Post a Comment