Monday, January 12, 2009

Spelling Tests

Luke's latest game is giving everyone spelling tests. He writes out a bunch of words and asks everyone in the family (except Gypsy Girl) to spell the words. He had words such as tig, he, she, jig, mom, and dad. He writes all the words down on a piece a papers, then he asks us to spell the words.

I won the very first game 1000 points (which he also wrote on the paper correctly) against 100 points. How did I win, a girl that can't spell? Well Mike cheated a bit. When Anakin's name came up, he asked Anakin how to spell the word. Additional points were lost because Mike would spell the word before Luke said the word. A big mistake.

However, I lost the second game, because I kept helping our four year old spell the words. I thought it was a hilarious game, with hilarious results. I doubt that as a five year old that I gave my family spelling tests, but maybe Mike did!

7 comments:

Pancake said...

CUTE!!! Spelling tests made fun!! What a great concept!

Anonymous said...

Our spelling tests get bloody -- we're pretty competitive -- but we try and spell words like "Argyle" or "Pletheura" -- which, according to the little red line that just popped up under that word, I guess I still don't know how to spell. Either that or I'm too used to reading British literature (because they always spell certain words wrong -- uh, differently, I mean!)

You should try doing spelling tests with the word verifications. Isn't there a game where you have to come up with definitions for nonsensical words? What is the name of that game??

Rita (alias Grandma) said...

Well actually, nobody did spelling tests because everybody but Kenneth could spell!!

Mike was paasing all his spelling tests with flying colors, and then his teacher noticed he had not been doing any of the workbook exercises. She made him go back and do them all even though he could already spell the words. Something about learning to follow through :-/

Colene said...

Wait until they can cook, then you will be playing iron chef. I won that one against Jordan but he claims it is because Dad is partial. If it was a spelling test he defiantly would have beat me.

Kaylynn said...

The boys already cook. They call it "cook for real" it always involves sugar, flour, an egg and oil. We mix it up and put it in the oven. Usually it is a surprise for daddy. He always eats it!

LisAway said...

How cute! What a smart little boy. He already understands the importance of school work!

I should really give my kids spelling tests, since their English classes at school are aimed at teaching the Polish kids English, and not teaching English speakers about their language!

Jo said...

We used to have spelling tests around the dinner table. Everyone would choose a word for the person on their left to spell. We had to stop it when Alyssa kept making Spencer cry. She would choose words that she thought were easy enough for him, and he felt like a total loser because he got it wrong :(