
Chocolate! Not just any chocolate but Leonida's Pralines. There is nothing as wonderful as taking a bite into these, they but all other chocolate to shame. While I lived in Belgium as a missionary, we (you are never alone as a missionary) would go to the little shops and buy two or three of our favorite chocolates. The shops were on almost every corner, kind of like Belgium's national Starbucks except they sold chocolate instead of coffee! It made all the rejection bearable, even a little sweet. Even if we successful, we would get chocolates as a way to celebrate. I loved the dark chocolates with butter cream inside, to die for. All of them were to die for! I haven't had any for a long time, but they now have a store in New York City. The next time I'm in New York, I'm going to stop by the store and order some of my favorite chocolates. Even better, I can order them, and have them delivered. (You don't get to pick which chocolate come in a package.) So I've been thinking about sending myself a Valentines present, perhaps I should say it's for my husband, but he would share, wouldn't he? If you want to try the best chocolate, go here and let them know I sent you. Perhaps I'll get some free samples! (They are expensive, but worth every penny!)
Other food I enjoyed in Belgium: the waffles (they aren't the same as Belgian Waffles in America) yogurt, bread, soups (pumpkin was one of my favorites), and Fries. They had fritures (my Dutch spelling has gotten worse) also on every corner with every type of sauce available. I've had them in America once, while on a layover with my husband in Hartford, CT. They made them in a bar--I think that is the only time I've actually been in a bar--to buy Fries. Fries were invented in Belgium by the way, not France. They also fry them twice: once at a very high temperature which seals the fries, and the next at a lower temperature to cook the fries. I guess I must be hungry this morning, so I better go and make breakfast! Although it won't be nearly as good as the chocolate and fries!
Other food I enjoyed in Belgium: the waffles (they aren't the same as Belgian Waffles in America) yogurt, bread, soups (pumpkin was one of my favorites), and Fries. They had fritures (my Dutch spelling has gotten worse) also on every corner with every type of sauce available. I've had them in America once, while on a layover with my husband in Hartford, CT. They made them in a bar--I think that is the only time I've actually been in a bar--to buy Fries. Fries were invented in Belgium by the way, not France. They also fry them twice: once at a very high temperature which seals the fries, and the next at a lower temperature to cook the fries. I guess I must be hungry this morning, so I better go and make breakfast! Although it won't be nearly as good as the chocolate and fries!
19 comments:
That all sounds good! Especially to me since I am not supposed to be eating either chocolate or fries but I still sneak a few here and there! I love me some good quality chocolates!
oooooohhh!!--I remember Leonida's chocolates from my trips to Brussels!--I also remember eating fabulous Belgium waffles right in middle of the Grande Plaz (spelling?)--
We took a fabulous trip to Bruuge one time...I'll never forget it...such a quaint place. I bought all my Christmas gifts on that trip...chocolates, and Belgium lace! Did you ever have a chance to go to Bruuge?
That's so cool that you went there on your mission...
OH That sounds YUMMY!!!! Dont tempt me!!!! I am weak
Shannon, I served in Brugge the last four months of my mission. It was like living in a fairy tale. The Fritture guy knew us by sight, and would have a fries ready for us when we came up. Such good memories!
I can't believe you actually served in Brugge! (I totally mispelled it earlier) That must have been an amazing experience...to actually LIVE there rather than just a day visit. I'm soooo jealous! Did you pick up the language alright?
Flemish is a pretty easy language. There are lots of words that are exactly the same: boek for book. The grammar is fairly regular as well. I don't think I could understand any of it now!
That country for sure has had their share of culinary geniuses!! :)
And I'm sure that no other chocolate matches up for you now, huh!
P.S. You totally should get yourself your own Valentines present.
Those sound so heavenly!
Well, believe it or not, I am entirely with Kaylynn on this. I did not serve a mission in Belgium, but since I grew up in England, I went there. Brugges is probably my most favorite city in the world. I was beyond thrilled when my son got to go there. Yes, they are close to the best chocoalte in the world, although I am addicted to Cadburys. But when I tasted the fries (being from the land of chips), I cried (ask Uncle Howard, he will vouch for it). I am glad to know what the difference in cooking was. We too had our favorite fry seller on the beach at Ostend. It was in the days when they still had the sausage stands, so that's how we ate--sausage and fries. Also giant peaches. I was also partial to the pastries. Brugges is where i got my interest in lace-making.What a beautiful place. Most, I loved the bridges over the rivers. Mike was a zone leader in tha area, and i was so excited to share those memories.
Mike was my Zone Leader in this area.
Oh ya baby! I just ate the 6 layer choc cake from PF Changs yesterday!
bAhh. such wonderful mission days... the chocolate was the best--and the frites.. lekker! Thank goodness we had to ride bikes!
And the rozenbottle tea really grew on me!
Thanks for dropping by!
But this post was SO not the one my waistline needed to discover you with . . . :)
Wow! After such a glowing review, Leonida's Praline company should grow to the point they will be able to hire all the people who are getting layed off around the country. Let Us Eat Chocolate!!
Mmmmmm.....I love dark chocolate. Especially good dark chocolate. Thanks for passing that little tid bit on.
I'm so glad you commented on my blog, because for some odd reason, your blog disappeared from my dashboard!!! And now that I've found you again, lo and behold you celebrate my return with a decadent picture of CHOCOLATE!!! And I don't have to feel jealous or envious or any other kind of "ous" -- I can enjoy it for myself! I was kind of waiting to read that you were going to have a monster giveaway or something, but I really don't need any more chocs since my freezer is still full of secret chocolate I hid away all year long!
Glad to be back -- thanks for remembering me!
I wonder if they sell this chocolate in France? While I am in Paris, I'm planning on purchasing an obscene amount of chocolate. YUM!
I am so hungry all of a sudden!! m
Post a Comment