Sunday, January 25, 2009

What can we learn?

Today, I am going to teach Sunday School about the lost 116 pages of The Book of Mormon. What can we learn from the story of the lost 116 page? While in Harmony, Pennsylvania; Joseph Smith translated the first 116 pages of The Book of Mormon with Martin Harris as his scribe. When they finished this portion of translation, Martin asked Joseph if he could take the manuscript to show his wife. Joseph asked the Lord if Martin could take the manuscript--a firm no! Time passed, and Martin who didn't have a very supportive wife kept asking Joseph if he could take the manuscript. Finally, Joseph asked the Lord again, and this time the answer was a very cautious, but be careful yes. Martin returned home with the promise that he would only show five members of his family. However, Martin began to show anyone the manuscript that walked through his door. Meanwhile, Joseph remained in Harmony where his wife gave birth to their first child Alvin, who died the same day. Emma was very sick and nearly died, Joseph nursed her for two weeks. As soon as Emma's health permitted he returned to Palmyra to retrieve the manuscript and return to translation. But Martin had broken his promise, and the manuscript was lost. Joseph cried out in inconsolable grief, "Oh, my God!…All is lost! all is lost! What shall I do? I have sinned—it is I who tempted the wrath of God". The gift of translation was taken away until September 22 of that year, when he started work on the translation of The Book of Mormon. Using Emma as a scribe, he began translating where he had stopped. In the spring of 1829, Oliver Cowdery came and Joseph quickly went to work translating the book.
  1. We should accept the Lord's answers to our prayers.
  2. We should fear God rather than man.
  3. When we are faithful, the Lord will extend his arm of mercy to us.
  4. The Lord knows that we will make mistakes, and in his infinite wisdom provides a Savior so we can repent and return to him.
  5. In addition, the Lord knew that the pages would be lost, and he provided another record of the people to teach the gospel of Christ.
  6. "The Lord knoweth all things from the beginning; wherefore, he prepareth a way to accomplish all his works among the children of men; for behold, he hath all power unto the fulfilling of all his words." 1 Nephi 9:6
  7. (This is for me!) We don't need to know why we should follow the spirit, we should just follow the spirit. Nephi said that he made two sets of plates for a wise purpose, which purpose he knew not. Mormon added the plates for a wise purpose, even though he didn't know all things, he trusted that the Lord knoweth all things.
  8. God's work will go forth even though Satan tries to destroy it.
  9. Like Joseph, we don't understand the gifts that God gave to us.
  10. All gifts come from God, and we must remain humble to attain and keep those gifts.

11 comments:

Kate said...

I love this lesson. I figure if Heavenly Father gave me a gift or talent, I need to work to develop it and not question why I have it. This lesson teches SOOOO many good principles. Obedience, following in faith, trust in the Lord, I could go on and on.
I am home today with a sick kid, so this is my dose of religion. Thanks!

Cynthia said...

Oh. That will be a good lesson. I teach RS every second Sunday.

What I take from it is that God allows us free agency at all times- even when the consequences can be dire. We have the opportunity to choose. He will hear and answer our prayers but when we refuse his answer and substitute our own, he will not prevent the chain of events that it may set off. Thus, action and consequence are inexorably linked.

We can ask for and recieve forgiveness for errors in judgement but the consequence will always remain. This is why it is best to listen the first time and avoid mistakes in as much as we can.

Joseph was eventually able to re-translate but many months and hours of work were lost and it took many hours etc. to repair the mistake. However, much was also learned through that process therefore mistakes can also be powerful, if painful, teachers.

Rita (alias Grandma) said...

I hope our Sunday School teacher has so much to offer! Apparently we are teaching opposite weeks again! Love your input though! I also have to be prepared in case he is suddenly sick :-)
It is good trhat the Lord knows our mistakes way in advance. Then he can mitigate them. Also, he tries to warn us!!

Pancake said...

Great lesson! I teach this next week, let me know how it goes and what else you would change or add! I love the list you made!

do you teach every week? Adults?

Anonymous said...

great lesson. I can't wait to hear our teacher's version of it!

Good luck.

Jo said...

Wow! That's the best summary of that lesson I've seen :) There are so many principles that anyone (who tries) can find a way to apply it in their life.

Kaylynn said...

Pam, I teach adult class every other week. My lesson went well, although I didn't have nearly enough time. (We had Ward Conference, so Sacrament Meeting went over.) A couple more thoughts: Joseph was very careful with the manuscript after he lost the first version. He had Oliver copy the entire manuscript by hand, and then only took 20 pages at a time to the printer. Oliver was never to go by himself. If Joseph had been that careful in the beginning. . . I am just grateful for the Lord knows the end from the beginning! I wished I had stressed the atonement, and how the replacement of the 116 pages is a physical manifestation of the atonement at work.

shannon said...

I like #3--I always love to be reminded that as long as I am obedient, (even though sometimes I feel like I'm just going through the motions)...the Lord is bound!

Sounds like a great lesson...
Thanks for sharing:)

Abby said...

Good lesson! And great messages that come from it. I can't imagine the grief that Joseph must have felt at that time, just after losing his child. How hard that must have been for him!

Pancake said...

Oh I love that! I will stress the atonement! So you are a week ahead of me, but we both teach everyother week. We will have to swap notes!

Da Bergs said...

WOW! I would have loved being IN your class! Nice job, thanks for sharing!!!