It was a balmy 32 degrees today. That is 60 degrees warmer than it was last week! While the boys were in school, I loaded up my little girl, and we went for a walk.
In the summer, the grasses are taller than me, and they are all standing. You really could get lost. But in the winter, the grass gets matted down by the storms, with only a few left standing.
One of my favorite hobbies is trail running in this park. During the snow season, the trails are groomed for cross country skiing. Does anyone know of a baby stroller with cross country skis? For now we staying on the road, and had a beautiful walk. It was so nice to be outside, and be able to breathe without it causing pain.
Most of the prairie has been turned into farmlands, but there is a big movement to restore it. I think it is beautiful!
11 comments:
Burrr! 32 degrees is 60 degrees warmer than last week! Holy coldness!
Neat pictures...Refer back to them when you're blazing hot this summer!
Actually, I believe the Chariot line of stroller has ski attachments & stuff like that--one of my friends from Wisconsin has one & one of Garth's Alaskan friends does too. Look into it if you're interested...
I thought those were beautiful photos. I love the country. Right now I would do anything for some clean air --the air is so bad in Salt Lake right now (smog!!inversion) we are asked not to go outside unless you have to. Imagine --Don't breathe the air. I long to be in the country, fresh air, less people, solitude, peace, beauty ---and breathe.
That is real purdy. I saw a show once where a man was trying to restore one city block back to the prairie that it once was (but I can't remember the city). It was fascinating to learn how many types of prairie grasses there were and all the birds and other critters that wanted to live there.
how pretty! It was warm enough (36 degrees) for us to go to the park the other day too (although, after Wendy's comment, I should probably watch the news before I head out next time!)! I love being outside!
Great pictures!
Looks BEAUTIFUL!!! and you are right, that is plenty warm!
Okay, I am freezing just looking at that!!! But, looks fun at the same time... ya know???
I am NOT getting paid for the free Snuggie advertisment, but I should be, dangit!!
And great pictures! I will be back!
really great pictures! I should send you one of my nice warm fuzzy scarves for your winter walks. :)
Ahh. Northern Illinois winters. They rock! Did you know that that Rockford is always the coldest spot in Illinois?
just a gee-whiz fact for you...
That state park is one of my all time favorite places.
I think I'll have to dig out some photos of it for a throwback thursday...
I am such a wuss. I hate it when it gets cold like that. Fortunately it's rare here.
I feel you on the 'I just need to get outside' thing. I've been going stir crazy around here with that trapped feeling I get every January.
Oh- and I'm glad you tried the almond extract in the cookies. It's a subtle but tasty addition.
Post a Comment