"Discernment is a light of protection and direction in a world that grows increasingly dark. In these latter days you and I can press forward safely and successfully through the mist of darkness and have a clear sense of spiritual direction. Discernment is so much more than recognizing right from wrong. It helps us to distinguish the relevant from the irrelevant, the important from the unimportant, and the necessary from that which is merely nice."
Elder Bednar, BYU Devotional, May 5, 2005
I kept thinking about discernment and its relationship to parenting, especially Elder Bednar's definition. I need to know the relevant from the irrelevant and the important from the unimportant. I like this so much better than the phrase: "You need to pick your battles." I never thought parenting should be about battles, but teaching what is important, what is necessary, and what is relevant. So as I go through my year, I will hope that I can develop this wonderful gift.
Another aspect of the gift is recognizing the good in others and helping to uncover the good and bring it out. Isn't that what we all want to do for our children. Give them the confidence they need to face their challenges.
The last aspect, perhaps one of the hardest: recognizing the things in yourself that needs to change. Wow, can I do that as a parent? Recognize what I need to change, and more importantly have the courage to change.
We can all pray that we can be better parents, but sometimes it helps to know exactly what to pray for--so I will pray that I can know the important from the unimportant, I can see and uncover the good in my children, and I can see how I need to change as a parent and make those changes.
I kept thinking about discernment and its relationship to parenting, especially Elder Bednar's definition. I need to know the relevant from the irrelevant and the important from the unimportant. I like this so much better than the phrase: "You need to pick your battles." I never thought parenting should be about battles, but teaching what is important, what is necessary, and what is relevant. So as I go through my year, I will hope that I can develop this wonderful gift.
Another aspect of the gift is recognizing the good in others and helping to uncover the good and bring it out. Isn't that what we all want to do for our children. Give them the confidence they need to face their challenges.
The last aspect, perhaps one of the hardest: recognizing the things in yourself that needs to change. Wow, can I do that as a parent? Recognize what I need to change, and more importantly have the courage to change.
We can all pray that we can be better parents, but sometimes it helps to know exactly what to pray for--so I will pray that I can know the important from the unimportant, I can see and uncover the good in my children, and I can see how I need to change as a parent and make those changes.
19 comments:
I love that!! What a great word to choose! I love Bednar!
That's awesome! And what a great quote. I've never given that word such deep thought. Good for you!
great word - it also works for marriage (which can be like parenting sometimes :)
Bednar Rocks! That quote should be on my bathroom mirror! What a gift it is to be able to recognize the good in others and help to uncover the good and bring it out. I want to be able to do that. M
My patriarchal blessing talks a lot about discernment. Thank you for reminding me about that!
Wow! That's beautiful. It has made me think a lot. I love the idea of a word of the year! Ironically, I think mine might be battles :) Not because I want parenting to be about battles, but because I want my children to be able to handle the battles they will inevitably face in life.
That would be wonderful to be able to do all that. All my kids now are grown and married and I have 10 grandchildres ---BUT it doesn't change the "inspiration, discernment" and all those things you needed when they were young. You need them also when they grow older and I want to be a help to my grandchildren. As far as improving myself (ah, some mountains are too tall...j/k)
Jo, maybe you should think armor, like armor of God!
Great word and great talk!
I can't wait to hear your progress on it this year.
from "Mike" Am I the luckiest husband or what? I like the idea of parenting not being a series of battles.
I happen to think that anyone who has anything to do with Kaylynn is lucky--or more properly, blessed!!
In 3 Nephi, about ch 19, the people are praying at the Bountiful Temple, and it says that the Holy Ghost was telling them what to pray for. The desire of their hearts was to have the gift of the Holy Ghost--and they got it. I think that is the real source and support of discernment. I love a word of the year idea. I have a concept of the year this yeAR. That is to not pour out lavish unspecific praise, but to recognize something specific about an achievement. Hope I can stick to it.
Wow Kaylynn, this is great. Abby and I have a wonderful friend who just got asked to give a talk in conference on parenting. I'm sending her to your blog. Keep up the good blogging.
Hey-thanks for stopping by my blog--I love comments! especially from new friends...just out of curiosity, your profile says that one of your interests is the airline industry?--Are you in the airline industry? I was just wondering because I used to be (before motherhood) and always love connecting with people who are or were...
PS--which category on the Mormon Mommy Blogs was I under...I can't find my blog on there...
PS--I really like this post...what a great word for the year! I chose "Balance". Discernment is another one of those all encompassing words, too. We need it for every aspect of our lives.
The part that really struck me in this talk was "recognizing the good and others and bringing it out"--My mother was always such a great example to me of that...she always helped us recognize our talents and individual worth...
Great post! thanks for sharing--
I used to be a flight attendant for American Airlines...I was JFK based. I feel so far removed from those days, though--There's nothing like having kids to blast you into another world-eh? I sometimes miss the flexability of being able to just pick up a London trip because I ran out of a certain shampoo that I can only get there...
I never would have used our flight benefits for traveling now, though. I don't like traveling stand-by with kids. When my husband and I were dating and newly married, we went on alot of trips together...
Do you guys travel much as a family?
Random stalker here... I too love that talk. and your word of the year. I agree with dede that is can totally work for marriage too. (definately like parenting!) :)
That is a great choice!!
yep, as much as i would like to deny it, Shannon IS my sister. joking - totally. She is a neat gal. Thanks for your comment!
What a great word and a great talk!!!
Thanks for eavesdropping over our way.
Post a Comment