Friday, March 6, 2009

Why we suffer?

This question is asked daily, many loose their faith in God over this question. Others never accept God because they can't understand how a loving, all-powerful God would allow the atrocities in the world to occur.

This past week, this has been on my mind not because life suddenly became harder, but because of a Relief Society lesson and a recent radio interview.

My faith might actually be founded and strengthened by the fact that suffering, adversity, atrocities will always happen. Taking God out of the equation does not change the fact -- it still occurs in the world. Putting God into the equation allows me, and the entire world to be healed, comforted, and have the hope for a better world. We can help others and lift their burdens, and give them hope that better things are to come!

My favorite scripture: Alma 7:11-12

And he (Jesus Christ) shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

I also love this quote by President Eyering, that he gave at President Hinckley's funeral:

"President Hinckley knew that God will steel and fortify us all as we choose to take the gospel down into our hearts. And he knew that the choice was made by consecrating all we are and have to follow the Master. He knew it was best to make that choice early, in the days of youth, because it might take years for us to qualify for the change in our hearts which comes because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

For all of us across the world, I express gratitude for such a prophet, such a teacher, such a father, and such a friend. He was a true witness of Jesus Christ and a prophet of God. We are better because of his influence and his example. And the best can be yet to come as we take the gospel of Jesus Christ down into our hearts, as he did.

In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

What do you think?

12 comments:

Debbie said...

It is hard to suffer. But I do always feel the support and love of God, most especially in those hard times. And I usually come out of it a better person.

Pancake said...

I agree, there are some great quotes out there about agency. What would happen if God answered every prayer.

I agree, when people ask the question, so often they remove Christ. Forget His suffering, the results of that

heather said...

Amen.

Martha Lee said...

I love what you said about taking God out, it still happens, but with God there is hope.

I know that for the trials I have gone through, all be it not very hard ones, I always come out closer to God, and knowing myself better then I went in. I just wish that I could remember those lessons with out being tried again.

Kristina P. said...

I think that this is great! Definite talk material.

wendy said...

That is one of the things that I really struggle with internally. I can't understand what some really bad things happen to really good people. Like Nie Nie for example. It is something I will probably have to work on for the rest of my life. At 57 I am just barely better understanding how to "channel" my prayers.

shannon said...

Wow...thanks for the scripture and quote...I really needed this today...(I wasn't in church last week thanks to Jake being sick)

I loved President Hinckley! I, too, feel like I am a better person because of his example...

Jo said...

I once talked with a Lady who didn't believe in God. She thought that if there were a perfect God then all his creations would be perfect - and clearly, we're not! At the time I didn't have an answer for her, but I've thought about it a lot since then, and my answer is: We can be and we will be, he's just not done making us. All of the suffering and stuff that happens in this world is simply part of that creative process.

Shauna said...

Amen Sister!

LLMI Hollist said...

I listen to that interview this week. There were interesting things that he said, but he was not an inspired person, that is to say he was only looking on a pure academic not a spiritual. What he has said made me appreciate the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price and modern day prophets.
I don’t know how I would have gotten through some tough times in my life without one of my favorite scriptures. I feel closeness to this scripture because of the day that we spent in the Liberty Jail Visitor Center when our car broke down on one of our trips. It was a good day for me, but it must have been a bad day for dad trying to get the VW Van fixed cheaply in an unknown city.
Doctrine and Covenants 121:7-10

7 My son, apeace be unto thy soul; thine badversity and thine afflictions shall be but a csmall moment;
8 And then, if thou aendure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy bfoes.
9 Thy afriends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands.
10 Thou art not yet as Job; thy afriends do not contend against thee, neither charge thee with transgression, as they did Job.

I am thankful for my best friends my family who have always stood by me.
Doctrine and Covenants 122:5-8

5 If thou art called to pass through atribulation; if thou art in perils among false brethren; if thou art in bperils among robbers; if thou art in perils by land or by sea;
6 If thou art aaccused with all manner of false accusations; if thine enemies fall upon thee; if they tear thee from the society of thy father and mother and brethren and sisters; and if with a drawn sword thine enemies tear thee from the bosom of thy wife, and of thine offspring, and thine elder son, although but six years of age, shall cling to thy garments, and shall say, My father, my father, why can’t you stay with us? O, my father, what are the men going to do with you? and if then he shall be thrust from thee by the sword, and thou be dragged to bprison, and thine enemies prowl around thee like cwolves for the blood of the lamb;
7 And if thou shouldst be cast into the apit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the bdeep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to chedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of dhell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee eexperience, and shall be for thy good.
8 The aSon of Man hath bdescended below them all. Art thou greater than he?

I have also found solace in: Doctrine and Covenants 19:18,19
18 Which asuffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might bnot drink the bitter cup, and shrink—
19 Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and afinished my preparations unto the children of men.

So if there was no God to me it would seem that my trail were for naught and have no good reason.
I know that some of my past trails have made me stronger so that can be able to through other trails, or just say this is nothing I have done harder things.
You also had the following quote, "President Hinckley knew that God will steel and fortify us all as we choose to take the gospel down into our hearts.”
The making of steel can only be done with under great amount of heat. As the iron is melted some of the impurities are burned off. Then the iron it is tested and things like coke (carbon) and other things are added to give different characteristics to the steel depending on what the steel is need for. If the iron is not heated the impurities can never be taken out of the iron and other characteristics cannot be added.
I also think that if we don’t take a good look at our testimonies often then our foundation of faith can falter. Sometimes our trails force us to do this otherwise we might just let our foundation rust away.
The other thing that came to my mind I once heard in a talk but cannot remember the source so take it with a grain of salt.
There are there a few ways we have trails.
1. We ask God for them. Don’t do this He will give us them.
2. Our not staying true to the Iron rod. We can control this also.
3. Other people do things that cause us trails. We have no control over this other then how we react to them.
4. Sometime God might on His own give us a trail but most likely not since items 2 and 3 do most of the work for Him.
Thank you for writing this blog. It gave me some much needed therapy writing this comment
Love you,
Your biggest bro.

Kaylynn said...

Thanks big brother! I love you too! Thanks little sister and awesomest sister in law. All of you gave me a lot to ponder and think about. It is a concept that we all need to work on!

Rita (alias Grandma) said...

I can see looking back that I am a much better person for trials. At the time,though, the growth is so incremental, it is hard to believe that there is any!