Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Cooking for Twelve


The laundry basket full of food: salsa, guacamole, rice, beans, enchiladas, and brownies.


The enchiladas


All the sides! Don't you love the re-usable cheap tupperware. Now the family doesn't need to return anything to me!

This was a momentous moment for me, but an everyday occurrence for the dear mom of the ten children. I only wish I brought paper plates--they still need to do all the dishes! Do you think it was enough food?

You can find the recipes here and here!

12 comments:

Kate said...

What a big meal. I bet you felt like you had food and food and food.

LLMI Hollist said...

You are so organized. If I had done it, the dinner would have been all over the place.

Kaylynn said...

Larry, I don't think anyone brought this type of meal to Grandma Hollist when Jolynn was born. Did they even know what guacamole was? I love using laundry baskets to transport things, but sometimes it takes weeks to get the laundry baskets cleaned out. This one was easy to clean because I left all the food at the person's home!

LLMI Hollist said...

No, no one was ever that kind to Grandma Hollist. Infact they were left with notes telling that they need to use contriciptives and were rasising dirty poor kids. I think that is why Grandma Hollist feed dad before they went to church dinners so dad would eat like a normal person.

As far a mexician food it was a raity back then. I remeber being six or eight or even seven, we would have special dinner for guest of tacos. I would teach adults how to make a taco.

heather said...

Salivating. I am salivating!

Abby said...

Wow, I can't imagine making that much food every day! I do think it was enough food. If there were little little kids, they never eat much anyway.

How kind of you to do that for them!

Kate said...

I think i am making mexican food tonight because of those pics.... major cravings for enchiladas!

Nice job!

shannon said...

You're my hero! That had to take you all day to prepare! Blessings are coming your way, my friend!

I'm so glad you documented this...I was so curious!

Annette Lyon said...

It's not too late at all to enter! You're down on the list.

Pancake said...

Hey I am sure you already found it, but the Ensign had a great article about Emma. I am guessing you teach section 25 on sunday. It has bits of her P Blessing and things.

LLMI Hollist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LLMI Hollist said...

This inspired a poem

Sacred Places

What makes a place sacred?
Is it a prayer?
A dedication?
Talking in hushed tones?
An angel from on high?

Is it a building?
A room?
A grove of trees?
A mountain top?
It is a good start.

What makes a place sacred?
A changed heart?
A soul saved?
Serviced rendered?
Love shared?

Yes, a sacred place is a place where:
Love exudes from the pours,
Salvation is accepted,
The body and or the soul is feed,
A helping hand is extended.

Places like:
The Mount of Olives,
Calvary,
The kitchen,
A child’s hand.

12 March 2009
Larry T. Hollist